Diagnose My Printer Problem
HP has developed several tools to diagnose my printer problem and provide appropriate instructions for resolving issues if any detected. There are even automated tools that can automatically fix the issues. Some of such tools are HP Print and Scan Doctor tool, HP Support Assistant. HP Toolbox, etc.
How to Diagnose and Fix Printer Problems
- Download and install the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool on your computer (Windows only).
- Open the tool, select the printer’s name, and then click Fix Printing.
- Carry out the prompts appearing on the screen to resolve the issue. The instruction for using the HP Support Assistant is given below.
- Open the HP Support Assistant and add the printer to the list of devices.
- Click the printer icon to view the troubleshooting tools. The other diagnostic tool is HP toolbox. The tool gets installed along with the printer driver.
- Open the HP toolbox to open the HP Printer Assistant window.
- Click Tools and select the Advanced Settings option if you have an HP LaserJet printer.
- Click the appropriate tab to explore various options.
Related Articles: Printer Problems
How to Use Diagnosing Tools for Detecting and Resolving Printer Issues
HP has developed the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool which can automatically diagnose my printer problem and fix the printer issues. Download and install the software tool on your Windows computer. Select the printer’s name in the list, and then click Next. If your printer is not listed, click the My product is not listed option.
If there is any connection issue, select your connection type and follow the on-screen instructions. Click Retry. Open the software and click Start. Select the printer’s name and follow the instructions on the software. Click Retry. Now click the Fix Printing or Fix Scanning option.
The software will now display the test results. A green checkmark indicates that the printer has passed the test, a wrench icon shows that an issue has been found and repaired. An exclamation point shows that the printer has failed the test, and needs the action of the user. If you see an ‘X’ mark, do according to the prompts displayed on the screen to fix the issue.
HP Support Assistant is another software that can maintain the printer and troubleshoot any issues. You can read all important messages, access product specifications, and get other details about the printer, besides troubleshooting. Search for HP on your Windows and then select the HP Support Assistant from the list of results displayed. If the software is not available, download it from the manufacturer’s website. The software can be downloaded even on non-HP printers.
Open the software once the installation is complete and add the printer to the list of devices. Now click the printer’s photo displayed on the software to access various troubleshooting tools. Select a tool depending on the printer issue and proceed with troubleshooting.
HP toolbox is an efficient troubleshooting software which comes along with the full feature driver of the printer. Click on HP Solution Center. If you have a LaserJet printer, click Tools and then select Advanced Settings in the HP Printer Assistant window that opens.
If you have an inkjet printer, click the Print and Scan tab and select the Maintain your Printer option in the HP Printer Assistant window. If you have HP Solution Center, click the Printer Toolbox under the Tools menu, which helps to diagnose my printer problem.